Research Computing Services (RCS) serves as Columbia's research community liaison with central Information Technology groups. RCS works closely with other related entities at Columbia, including the Office of Research Initiatives and the Libraries/Information Services, with the shared goal of advancing research at the University.
Current Projects and Services
- RCS coordinates CUIT's centrally-managed High Performance Computing (HPC) service. This service uses HPC clusters located in the Shared Research Computing Facility: the Yeti HPC cluster was launched in October 2013 and is shared by ten research groups/departments, and the Hotfoot HPC cluster, begun in 2009 and jointly used by faculty and other researchers in the departments of Astronomy & Astrophysics, Statistics, and Economics plus other groups represented in the Social Science Computing Committee (SSCC), and the Stockwell Laboratory.
More about CUIT's HPC service...
- We can arrange to give Columbia researchers access to an allocation on the national XSEDE HPC resource
Contact RCS about XSEDE...
- RCS facilitates a technical HPC special interest group (SIG).
- We provide research computing support for the Columbia Population Research Center (CPRC).
More about our Embedded Research Computing Support service...
- We represent Columbia in the national Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation (CASC) and the Educause ECAR Campus Cyberinfrastructure (CCI) working group.
- RCS staff assists with Columbia's Green Data Center initiatives.
Other Fee-based Research Computing Resources
We list several fee-based HPC and file storage services in alphabetical order that Columbia researchers may want to investigate on their own. At this time, RCS does not recommend one resource over another or provide support for these external services.
- Amazon Web Services including Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) and storage services
- Columbia University Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (C2B2) colocation and hosting services
- Cornell University Center for Advanced Computing Red Cloud services
- New York State HPC Program: Resources at RPI, Brookhaven
- New York State HPC Consortium: Web-based resources at RPI, Brookhaven, Stony Brook and University at Buffalo
- POD IU: HPC on demand hosted at Indiana University
- San Diego Supercomputing Center (SDSC) Cloud Storage Services
- USC Digital Repository
- Windows Azure